How to use Medihoney Gel
MEDIHONEY® Dressing is made with Active Leptospermum Honey-100% and has special antimicrobial properties. Medihoney® has been clinically proven to combat different bacteria including drug resistant infections such as MRSA. It is medical-grade honey intended for wound care. Offers protection against invading bacteria, is effective against a wide variety of bacteria, cleans the wound, rapidly lifting dead tissue, reduces wound odor and provides a moist
environment to aid healing.
What you Need:
❏ Wound Cleanser (sterile saline)
❏ Gauze Pads
❏ Gauze Roll
*Call your healthcare provider if you notice any signs of the wound worsening. Report increased redness, pain, swelling, or heat on or around your wound.
How to change your dressing:
1. If you normally have pain when you change your dressing, take your pain medicine according to your healthcare provider’s instructions.
2. Wash your hands
3. Apply non-sterile gloves
4. Remove your dressing gently. If your dressing is difficult to remove, moisten with saline.
5. Look at your wound. Look for signs of healing. Also look for any signs of increased redness, pain, swelling, or heat within or around your wound*.
6. Clean the wound and skin around the wound with sterile saline.
7. Dry the skin around the wound by patting gently with gauze.
8. Apply a thin layer of the Medihoney® dressing directly to the wound or onto a dressing. Make certain that the dressing covers the entire wound base, not in contact with the peri-wound skin.
9. For deeper wounds apply a thin layer of the Medihoney® dressing into the wound and any tunneled or undermined area.
10. Cover the Medihoney® dressing with a gauze dressing.
11. Use tape to secure in place.
12. The frequency of your dressing change will depend on your condition and the amount of wound drainage. With proper management of wound drainage, the dressing can be left in place for up to seven days, as is the case with compression devices or under off-loading devices.